PROBLEM GAMBLING WARNING SIGNS
- Have you ever felt the need to bet more and more money?
- Have you ever lied to people important to you about how much you gambled?
- Have you repeated unsuccessful efforts to control, cut back or stop gambling?
- Do you gamble as a way of escaping emotional or physical pain?
- Have you ever relied on others to provide money to relieve a desperate financial situation caused by gambling?
- Have you ever jeopardized or lost a significant relationship, job or career opportunity because of gambling?
- Have you gambled to get money with which to pay debts or to solve other financial problems?
- Have you borrowed money to finance your gambling?
- Has gambling ever made your home life unhappy?
- Do you gamble to try to get your money back?
Problem gambling is thought to be a progressive disorder, traveling through four phases. Although this describes the four phases of what is commonly called the “Escape” gambler, anyone experiencing problems in life due to gambling will probably be able to identify with this progression.